Individuals – Electronic Purchases
• Goods such as new items, gifts, personal effects, commercial items that are subject to customs duties being imported in a mail parcel whether normal or courier, require clearing by a customs officer at the mail sorting compound in the Kingdom of Bahrain (in Hidd).
• Customs Duties Payable Parcels:
A detailed list of the parcels consisting of customs duties payable parcels is prepared by Customs at the mail office. The parcel recipient is notified by the mail office with respect to the status of the parcel by virtue of a "notification letter" to attend in person to receive the parcel, which is delivered after being inspected by a Customs Officer at the mail office where the recipient or his representative must be present. All Customs duties must be paid before releasing the parcel.
• Parcels containing items not subject to customs duties (personal use). Such items and non-restricted items which aggregated value amounts to BHD 300 will be forwarded directly to the mail office (branches in all the Kingdom of Bahrain governorates) . The sender must attach the invoice with the parcel to facilitate customs clearing.
• Parcels containing prohibited or restricted goods (personal or commercial).
• Personal Restricted Goods
a) The import of prohibited items which aggregated value amounts to BHD 300 requires the approval of a competent regulatory authority (Point of Entry). The parcel owner must be present at the customs office where the parcel is inspected in his presence. The parcel is both seized and forwarded to the point of entry via agents attached to a receipt, where the parcel owner must go in person or his representative to complete the process of receipt directly from the offices of the competent regulatory authority.
b) Commercial Items Subject to Regulatory Authorities
If the parcels are of a commercial nature and require a permit from a regulatory authority, the items are seized while a sample of the same is delivered by virtue of a receipt until such time when a permit is obtained, and all due taxes and duties are paid.
Parcels requiring a previous approval from a regulatory authority are maintained at Customs of a mail office. A sender is notified to obtain a permit/approval from the competent regulatory authority. The parcel is thereto released after submitting a permit or approval, and payment of the customs duties.